Jungling is the only role where pick rates and win rates correspond extremely well, making this a much simpler analysis. Find out more after the break, and stay tuned for a post on top lane later today!
As usual, let’s start by revisiting our basic pick/win rates!
One striking thing really stands out about this: every champion on here — except Wukong — has a winning record.
In fact, if we look at the win rates of all champions picked fewer than 4 times, they are 5-15. If we include the 3 next-least-picked champions, Nunu, Gragas, and Shyvana, that extends to a whopping 7-30. For comparison, those numbers are 16-19 in top and 7-5 in support. Only mid compares, with a 9-25 record.
In jungle, it really seems like there is a bar: can jungle vs can’t jungle.
However, there are a few matchup considerations:
- Elise doesn’t have good matchups vs almost anybody. She is 8-5 vs Vi and 2-1 vs Eve (the only winning matchup vs Evelynn!), with losing matchups vs every other jungler down to Kha’Zix.
- Vi is much the reverse, winning every matchup except for losing 5-8 to Elise and 3-5 to Lee Sin, not to mention 1-6 to Pantheon!
- Lee Sin is pretty much the safe jungler he’s always been, with not too many bad matchups, but only good matchups vs Wukong, Vi, and Elise.
- Pantheon has been extremely strong, losing consistently only to Wukong.
- Wukong, much like Elise, has many bad matchups. However, his only good matchups are Elise and Vi. If those champions fall out of favor, Wukong suddenly feels like a very weak pick.
- Olaf can outscale early gankers like Elise and Lee Sin, with 60%+ win rates vs those two.
Funny enough, this seems to mean that Vi is holding 2 junglers in the game: Elise and Wukong, both of whom primarily perform well vs her and one other champion.
The strong junglers right now feel like Vi, Lee Sin, and Pantheon, AD junglers with strong early games and devasting post-6 ganks. However, Elise does well vs Vi, Wukong does well vs Elise, and Olaf sneaks in off of good scaling.
Mattias “Gentleman Gustaf” Lehman is a big time nerd-gamer with high-level experience in both SC2 and LoL. He has ranked as high as Diamond 1 in solo queue and Diamond 3 in arranged 5s.
You can see his other work here:
Reign of Gaming LoL articles
I love to talk to friends, and you can add me at Gentleman Gustaf, but keep in mind that my friend list is very near full, so I may not reply, or I may delete you shortly thereafter (to make room for others)